Sunday, March 10, 2019

Mer-Art

I desire to paint undersea landscapes. I don’t exactly remember where it came from or how it started. I also envision creating high-quality Mer-art…but all in steps.

It was 6 years ago. I was living in a ratty rental and felt lonely. I decided to get some fish to keep me company and act as models for fins and tails or Mer. I figured if I studied a fishtail eventually I’d find a way to transfer this skill to mermaids and merman. I sat for what felt like hours (probably was only minutes) and tried to sketch the fish as they swam this way and that over and over. The resulting sketches were not even note-worthy. In short, they sucked!

I am building skills to create modern abstract waterscapes. I want big! So, last summer, I followed an online video on building big canvas frames for use in painting. I hadn’t painted in some years and got online to see what has been going on in the paint world. I found some videos on acrylic pour painting and got hooked! I started by hitting Cheap Joe’s Art Supplies and got plenty of paint to play with. 

And this is what I have been doing through the fall and winter. I go into the basement and pick out some colors I feel will express my desire (underwater, sand and watercolors are my focus). I figure if I can practice and do in something in small I should be able to transfer my abilities onto large canvases.


Have I begun transferring Mer imagery onto canvas? Not yet. I have Mer-art around my house. I think about it plenty. Thinking and imagining and understanding patterns of light and shadow and fish scales and such are a start. I am hoping to do the large canvas starts in summer or into next fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment